How do I change the alternator?
If you are fairly handy, you can change the alternator yourself. Firstly, make sure that the fault is with the alternator, and not the battery or the starter. You can order a new alternator from your garage, or get one at the best price online from an automotive parts site. If you are not too confident in your mechanic skills, it is best to take your vehicle to a garage for expert repair.
If you want to get started, grab a set of wrenches, a set of screwdrivers, a multimeter, and then follow the step-by-step guide below
- Park your vehicle on a flat surface, engine switched off, and the handbrake on. Open up your bonnet
- Disconnect the battery
- Locate your alternator and the alternator belt. Loosen it, and then remove it. Check the condition of the belt; if it is too worn, you should consider replacing it
- Unscrew the alternator bolts, disconnect it, and then remove it
- Compare the two alternators, the new one and the old one, and make sure they are exactly identical
- Put the new alternator in place
- Reconnect the alternator
- Replace the alternator belt and retighten it
- Reconnect the battery
- Using a multimeter, check the voltage of the battery when switched off, and the alternator with the engine running
Rebranchez les connectiques.