Car Part Manufacturer
INA was created in 1946 by the brothers Wilhelm and Georg Schaeffler in Herzogenaurach. Initially the company produced handcarts which sold well just after WWII.
In 1949 Georg Schaeffler developed a needle roller cage for bearings. In 1952 these new bearings were used in automobile technology to replace the plain bearings used until then, including in the transmission of VW Beetles.
The company grew and opened its first plant abroad in 1956 in France. From then on the expansion increases to South America and the United States. At the same time bearing technology develops as well. In 1993 INA issues LSL cylindrical roller bearings and ball screw supports.
In 1999 INA takes over clutch brand Luk and buys FAG Kugelfischer in 2001. Together with FAG, INA becomes the world’s second largest roll bearing factory. Also in 2001 General Motors awards INA the 2001 Company of the Year.
Today INA wheel bearings are supplied to OE manufacturers and the aftermarket the world over. The company has 180 locations in 50 different countries. Apart from INA it also owns other car part brands including Luk, Contitech and FAG. INA is still a family owned company headed by the late Georg Schaeffler’s wife and son.